The Fam

The Fam

Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Dinner

We had a wonderful Easter this year! I was able to participate in a beautiful program put on by our ward choir. It feels good to sing again! I haven't been part of a choir since I had Willson. After church we went to Andy's sister Michelle's house for dinner. Michelle, who is not the banana cream pie lover that I am, made (for the 1st time) a banana cream pie, just because she knows how much I love it! It was so delicious and so sweet of her. She even made meringue for it, which was beautifully done. I wished I had remembered my camera! Like any visit with Michelle, it was not complete until she made sure I had pulled out all of my jewelry and scoured it until pieces were decided on to purchase. We also couldn't let the evening end without playing Guitar Hero. Now, this was only my 4th time playing it, since I only get to play at Michelle's. I played a couple of rounds with Michelle, while the husbands watched us. You can't really get into Guitar Hero when you have an audience, at least I can't anyway. My Nephew, Spencer, took over for Michelle and after a couple of songs Michelle and Spencer convinced me that I could try the medium difficulty, instead of the easy setting that I'd been doing. Spencer said that if I tried medium, he would try expert. Michelle sufficiently goaded me until I was trying it. She's one of those people that can talk you into doing things and then you wonder how you ever got yourself into the situation (I know someone else like that...Nikki). Anyway as the song started I quickly realized that I can only use 3 fingers for the guitar, not the 4 that medium requires. My pinkie finger is virtually useless. As I'm trying to play, quite unsuccessfully, I'm screaming "my pinkie won't work", "I can't use all 4 fingers". Then I burst into fits of laughter because how did I let myself get talked into this? Halfway through the song I'm now laughing uncontrollably and Spencer, pro that he is, is having one of the best runs he's ever had. So Michelle decides to help me. She comes over and leans over the guitar and starts doing the blue notes, that are supposed to be done by my unusable pinkie. This just makes me laugh harder, until Michelle finally says "Spencer, you have to start the song over. Aunt Melissa can't do it." So, we started the song over, back to easy for me. I finished off the night with "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins and got 81% of the notes right, my best by far. I never said I was good at Guitar Hero, just that I love it. I've determined that that's what I want for our 10 year anniversary, coming up in June.
I just have to talk Andy into it.

No comments: