The Fam

The Fam

Friday, April 13, 2012

I'm Having Trouble Controlling...THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!

Willson, like most children, has always had trouble with volume control.
Especially at church.
To combat this we constantly tell him to whisper please and make sure to provide enough quiet distractions to make talking obsolete. The current one that works is coloring.
Last Sunday we were well prepared.
He had just received a new coloring book from the Easter Bunny and he had a bag of nearly new crayons borrowed from his sisters.
The rule in our house is that no distractions come out until after the sacrament is completed. Willson could hardly contain his excitement to crack open that new book and get down to business.
I watched as Andy reached down for the bag, pulled out the fresh crayons, handed them to our giddy boy and then a look of pure horror crossed his face.
I sent him a questioning look and he mouthed the dreaded words
"I forgot the coloring book."
We had to act fast.
Willson was quickly becoming aware of the situation and we were headed for a meltdown. He had been waiting so patiently and his little world was about to be shattered.
I grabbed the first thing I could find.
A program. Yeah, he loved that.
I flipped it over, finding the largest open space I could, Andy quickly scooted a Hymn book under it and placed a crayon in his hand.
Crisis averted.
He couldn't complain, he just followed instinct and started scribbling.
I could tell this was not going to last the whole time though.
I had to be prepared.
He handed me the paper and whispered
"Can you draw me a toilet?"
Now this was a real whisper. I didn't think my son was capable of that.
I quickly grabbed his paper and started drawing,
lest he repeat his request in his normal whisper.
I drew, what I thought, was a masterful toilet.
I handed the paper back to my little man, wearing my arm out by patting myself on the back so hard.
He whispered, I must be the best parent ever!
And look, my exquisite toilet.
Willson took my offering, gave a firm head nod and said
"Good. Now can you draw a guy peeing in it?"

1 comment:

Sarah Nelson said...

SO SO SO funny! I'm eating cereal write now and I almost choked on it! Willson cracks me up!