The Fam

The Fam

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Driver on the Bus Says...

Last summer I felt inspired to call on a job posting at the kids school. It was for a school bus driver. I had never before considered this, but thought well, if I get it I get it, if not, no great loss. Well, I got it. I embarked on this new journey full of embarrassment and questioning what I was thinking, but then remembering that this wasn't my decision it was Heavenly Father's plan for me.
There are times when that is the only thing that keeps me from quitting my job, not because I don't enjoy it, but because all I want to do is be home with my babies, being a wife and mother. Sometimes I ache for those times again, but I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and being a school bus driver is what is needed for me at this time.
Now that I've covered my misgivings, lets go into the positives...
Being a Bus Driver is more than feathered hair, fake nails and elastic waist jeans.
(Which I have none of, thank you very much)
I get to make an impact on the lives of children in my community. I always thought I didn't like other people's kids, in fact I've been very vocal about that, but I was so wrong.
I have truly come to love and care about those children on my bus.
I also seem to have a real soft spot for troublemakers.
I have had many fun and memorable experiences on my bus.
Singing Queen and Lady Gaga with one of my cute Kindergartners...
Laughing with my 3rd grade trouble maker, who does so much better when he's sitting by me...
Hearing a 4th grader, when asked by his teacher to get off the bus after a field trip, saying "Once again fate has ruined my life." in the most pitiful and defeated voice...
Laughing and joking with my High School Kids, listening as they tell me their boy problems...
One of the most tender moments happened today.
I met Kelsey the day she took my bus home.
She was loud and obnoxious high school student, with no respect or care for me. She argued with me over her bus stop and probably called me bad names later.
She continued to ride my bus. I continued to not let her intimidate me. I think that was her main weapon against adults in her life.
One day she decided she liked me. I don't know if it was the pink hair that got her, but suddenly she not only respected me, she liked me.
She was still the same loud and obnoxious person, but she treated me with not only respect, but kindness.
She said good morning to me every day. She thanked me every day when she got off the bus. She looked me in the eye. She smiled at me. She talked to me.
(This is completely abnormal for the majority of High School Students)
I knew she had a lot of trouble at school. Not surprisingly she had authority issues.
I hadn't seen Kelsey for about a month now, until today. I've been thinking about her, hoping she was choosing a better path for herself. She came to my bus today. I asked her how she was, where she's been. She told me she transferred to an alternative school in our district. She seemed happier. She hugged me and told me she just wanted to come say hi, since she happened to be at the school. I was shocked and touched.
I don't know what kind of an impact I have had in this child of God's life, but I pray that she can see His light in me and choose a better path.
To those of you out there who need a reminder, I know I certainly do, what you choose to do makes a difference, whether in the home or out of the home.

1 comment:

Sarah Nelson said...

Seriously?! How is it that you manage to make me laugh and cry all at the same time? Love your posts.