The Fam

The Fam

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Road Trippin'

Let's just start off by saying, I don't do road trips. Of course, Andy loves them. The last time I was in the car for more then 4 hours was when I was pregnant with Savannah. Utah. I hated every second and by the time we got there Andy did too. Since then Andy's been on several, without me of course. You can imagine our trepidation on embarking on our CA trip. When Andy road trips he just drives. Me, I'm more of worry wort. Cops and such. So, how we worked it out is I pretended to not know how fast Andy was driving cause I just wanted out of that car. We were both much happier. There is something to be said for the state of oblivion. I think it can be healthy on certain occasions. Thankfully we made it all the way to CA with no issues police related or otherwise. I found I could do a 12 hour road trip without too much trouble. It probably helped that the kids slept through most of it, but I'm still gonna call it a victory. The drive home was not quite so daunting after our initial success. Again I went into my state of oblivion. Though oblivious, I was still on cop watch, so when I noticed headlights close behind us, seemingly out of nowhere it was hard not to panic just a little. Mind you, we weren't even out of CA at this point. I asked my sweet husband if the car behind us had come up quickly. He answered, like the thought never occurred to him, yeah. Um...might be a cop, ya think? When safe he moved out of the fast lane and after a few moments the cop passed us. We let out a huge sigh, he slowed down and we said a quick prayer of thanks. For the next few hours we were much for careful and mindful. When the night got later, weather better and feeling more relaxed Andy resumed road trip mode. As we were rounding a curve in the road I looked to the shoulder. COP, COP, COP. No time to slow down. We were caught. We watched as the headlights flipped on and he swung out onto the road. crap, crap, crap. We got pulled over. Consolation was that we were already a good ways through Oregon. He took all our information and went back to his cruiser. When he was on his way back Andy was convinced it was too fast for a ticket. I was not. Imagine my shock when he returned sans ticket book. He handed us back our information and told Andy he was letting him off with a verbal warning. Whoa. We were able to make it home with no further incident. So thankful.

1 comment:

Kurt, Jennifer and family said...

So funny! Kurt is the opposite - he can be such a slow driver! I will tell him "you know, you can go around the semi". You are so lucky the cop let you guys go! Awesome! Oh, and I am a little disappointed we didn't get to see you when you were here! You will just have to make another trip just to see us! Ha ha!